Fitzwilliam Golf Society
Golf for Alumni /ae of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
Fitzwilliam v St Edmund Hall – Denham G C – 10 July 2018
The Harry Colt designed course was the perfect setting for one the premier matches in the Fitz golfing calendar.
Two teams of twelve players met to contest the One Size FitzHall Trophy and the coveted Red Jacket. It was keenly contested on what was one of the cooler days in the current heatwave. The course played exceptionally well with golden tinder dry fairways and beautifully manicured greens. Low flying aircraft from the adjacent airfield added to the film set feel of the venue.
After a first rate lunch…which could have lasted the afternoon, the two teams ventured on the course to commence battle. Excellent performances were displayed by both sides. In the end, though, Fitzwilliam proved too strong for St Edmund Hall and ran out comfortable winners by 4.5 points to 1.5 points to retain the Cup and Jacket.
St Edmund Hall Teams Fitzwilliam Teams
1. Gerald Barber & David McCammonn lost to Richard Baker & Bob Barltrop 5&4
2. Chris Atkinson & Ken Hinkley-Smith lost to Peter Bennett & Bryan Pickup 6&4
3. Michael Archer & Jenny Jones lost to Colin Dunkerley & Martin Holmes 4&3
4. David Ashworth & Mike Simmie lost to Danny Gesua & Brian Smith 4&2
5. Sandy McPherson & Peter Jones halved with Robin Winckless & Mike Hamment
6. Nigel Banks & John Collingwood beat Matt Hignell & John Coombes 3&1
Nearest The Pin: Hole 12: Gerald Barber (Hall)
Nearest The Pin in Two: Hole 17 : Bryan Pickup (Fitz)
Longest Drive: Hole 3 : David Ashworth (Hall)
The best Fitz pair on the day was Peter Bennett and Bryan Pickup.
The best St Edmund Hall pair was Nigel Banks and John Collingwood.